Friday, February 9, 2018

Alternative table back scene boards ...

One of the problems with having a fixed set of backdrops is choosing what to have - I went with a generic European look, the only problem with that is when you want to do 1/1200 ships I put the blue sea cloth over the table but the backdrops jar - downland in the eye of view isn't quite right.

So I bought some new ones with just sky on and light grey cloud at the horizon (from the New Modellers Shop, see http://www.newmodellersshop.co.uk/backscenes.htm).  I cut up some 3mm MDF in 8inch widths to use as additional back scenes - these rest reasonably well again the fixed ones;  the back scenes as purchased are wider and longer than my boards.
So I stuck the backscenes to the boards and trimmed off the excess; the two boards at the back of the table don't quite meet right - it seems my table is not quite flat - anyway the result is very pleasing overall ...
 the horizon now looks more realistic, with the 1/1200 ships
and the coastal sections
the alternative sky boards will be useful if I'm going to have sea as part of the table layout.

2 comments:

  1. Those look great. I've only recently converted to backdrops, but there's something to be said for a neutral sky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! I keep wanting to do some backdrops - need to figure out how to add them to a freestanding table which I don't want to mess up by fixing the backdrops to the table.

    ReplyDelete